In tough economic times, finding employment is tough, unfortunately even harder for older employees. Some employers often assume that older employees are close to retirement and don’t need a job, have too many medical issues resulting in missing work. However this is all too false, especially in this day and age. If you believe that you are being discriminated against at work because of your age, you should be aware that laws exist to protect you from unlawful age discrimination contact your Los Angeles employment lawyer today.
The Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967 (ADEA) is a Federal law that protects certain employees who are over 40 years of age from employment discrimination. The ADEA applies to most employers with 20 or more employees. Age discrimination is illegal for most companies. If you notice any of these signs, you may be a victim of age discrimination.
- Biased comments from other co-workers, supervisors
- Pay attention to how younger employees are treated, are they treated better?
- Unequal discipline
- Less qualified, younger employee receiving promotions
- Older employees excluded from work functions, meetings, leads, etc.
- Company hiring only younger employees
It is against the law to discriminate for your age. Do not let the above explained affect your work environment. Get advice today