Wage And Hour Attorney in Los Angeles, California

Most wage and hour or overtime claims are covered under the federal Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) or other California state regulations. These rules change frequently, and contain many exceptions, depending on the situation. Whether based on state or federal law, however, successful wage and hour claims generally allow an employee to recover back pay, plus his or her attorney’s fees and court costs. Find out more by contacting an employment lawyer at the Leichter Law Firm, APC.

Rules for Documenting Your Time at Work. Is it Legal?

Does your employer make you work time off the clock? Are you required to show up at work a half-hour before you are allowed to punch in? Are you forced to work through lunch and breaks? Our California employment law lawyers know how to help. At the Leichter Law Firm, APC we have the skill and experience to stand up for the rights of California employees who are treated unlawfully at work. We pride ourselves on personal client service and our responsiveness to your wage and hour claim.

The following are guidelines to help you determine if you are not being fully compensated for your overtime work:

Our Los Angles Wage And Hour Attorney Serve the Following Practice Area

Employee Misclassification in Los Angeles, California

Some employers attempt to get around wage and overtime laws by classifying employees as independent contractors or as exempt employees. If you are classified as a manager and perform little to no managerial tasks, contact Los Angeles employment law lawyer Aryeh Leichter today. We handle class-action lawsuits in which a number of employees have been similarly affected by an employer’s violation of wage-and-hour laws.

Contact a Los Angeles Wage and Hour Lawyer in Los Angeles, California For a Free Consultation.

If you believe that your employer has committed violations of the wage and hour laws, you don’t have to file an EEOC claim as you would in a typical discrimination case. Instead, you can hire a private Wage and Hour attorney in Los Angeles and file suit as soon as you discover the violation. If other people at your company have also been denied overtime, meals, or breaks, you may be able to file a special type of FLSA class action lawsuit. Contact the Leichter Law Firm, APC at 818-915-6624 or email us today for a confidential consultation.

Frequently Asked Questions for Our Los Angeles Wage and Hour Lawyer

What Is The Minimum Wage In California?

The minimum wage in California is $15 per hour for employers with 26 or more employees, and $14 per hour for employers with 25 or fewer employees, as of January 1, 2023. There are some exemptions for certain types of employees, such as those who are disabled or working as learners or apprentices.

What Are The Overtime Laws In California?

California law requires that employers pay overtime to non-exempt employees who work more than eight hours in a day or 40 hours in a week. Overtime pay is one and a half times the employee’s regular rate of pay. Employees who work more than 12 hours in a day are entitled to double their regular rate of pay.

Are Employers Required To Provide Meal And Rest Breaks?

Yes, employers are required to provide meal and rest breaks to non-exempt employees. Employees who work more than five hours in a day are entitled to a 30-minute meal break, and those who work more than 10 hours in a day are entitled to a second 30-minute meal break. Additionally, employees who work more than four hours are entitled to a 10-minute rest break.

Can Employers Require Employees To Work Off The Clock?

No, employers cannot require employees to work off the clock. All time that an employee spends performing work-related activities must be compensated, including time spent preparing for work, attending meetings or training, and traveling between job sites.

What Is The Penalty For Not Paying Wages On Time In California?

If an employer fails to pay an employee their wages on time, the employee may be entitled to penalties. The penalties can range from $100 per day up to $4,000. There may also be additional penalties if the employer fails to provide accurate wage statements.

What Should I Do If I Believe My Employer Has Violated Wage And Hour Laws?

If you believe your employer has violated the wage and hour laws you can bring it up to your employer and see if they are willing to resolve the issue. You also have the option to reach out to a Los Angeles wage and hour attorney. You will want to have an attorney to help you file a complaint with the California Labor Commissioner’s Office or the U.S Department of Labor’s Wage & Hour Division.

Can a Supervisor Change The Hours On a Recorded Timecard?

In California, it is generally illegal for a supervisor or employer to change the hours on a recorded timecard without the employee’s knowledge or consent. This is because it is a violation of the state’s wage and hour laws, which require employers to keep accurate records of employees’ work hours and pay them for all hours worked. If your timecard has been changed without your knowledge you may want to seek legal.

Is Holiday Pay Mandatory In California?

In California, there is no state law that requires employers to provide holiday pay to their employees. This means that it is up to the employer to decide whether or not to offer holiday pay to their employees. However, if an employer does choose to offer holiday pay, they must comply with certain requirements. For example, if an employer offers paid holidays, they must provide the pay in accordance with the company’s policy or collective bargaining agreement. If an employee works on a holiday, they may also be entitled to receive additional pay or compensatory time off, depending on the employer’s policy.

What Can I Do If I Am Asked To Work Before I’m Able To Clock In?

In California, it is generally illegal for an employer to require an employee to work before they are able to clock in. This is because it violates the state’s wage and hour laws, which require employers to pay employees for all hours worked, including any time spent working before clocking in. You should bring the issue up to HR or speak to an employment attorney.

Related Link:

free consultation

Fields marked with an * are required